Botanical and mycological collections

The first three directors of the State Museum of Natural History Karlsruhe during the first half of the 19th century were famous botanists: C. Chr. Gmelin (1785-1837), A. Braun (1837-1846) and M. Seubert (1846-1878). They assembled a major collection, which, unfortunately, was largely destroyed during WWII. After the war, the few remaining parts of the old collections formed the basis for rebuilding. Important donations and purchases comprise the herbaria of Jauch, Lösch, Machule, Müller, Kraiss, Stoll, and Döll.

In recent decades the moss collection underwent extraordinary growth thanks to the activities of G. Philippi (ca. 60.000 capsules). The emphasis was on Sphagnum-mosses, which were studied as part of  A. Hölzer's paleoecological research (> 10.000 capsules). A major result of these studies is the book "Die Torfmoose Südwestdeutschlands und der Nachbargebiete", published in 2010.

The collection of lichens was curated for many years by H. Schindler on a volunteer basis. Since 2002, V. Wirth, lichen expert and former director (2001-2008) has enhanced the collection. The fungus collection gained significance when mycologist and curator M. Scholler was hired. He is also in charge of the algae collection.

Today, the botanical and mycological collections (official acronym: KR) comprise more than 300.000 vouchers, mostly from Southwestern Germany. Since 2000, great efforts have been made to prepare specimens and digitise the collection so it can be made more accessible to potential users.